New Sunscreen Rules From FDA
It’s been widely known, especially in the medical community, that some of the most popular sunscreens were pretty worthless in actual use. Beginning this summer, the FDA is requiring new labels on sunscreens so the customer will know what level of protection they’re buying.
Previously, sunscreen could be advertised and labeled as being “waterproof, sweat-proof, or a sunblock”. While common sense may tell you these words are just advertising promotion, they did sell a lot of sunscreen. Unfortunately, we now have record rates of skin cancer, some due to skin protection we thought we were getting.
Very quickly, here is everyday language I give my patients about the suns radiation:
- There are two types of skin radiation. UVA and UVB.
- UVB rays cause the actual sunburn and weaken the skins ability to keep out the more harmful UVA rays.
- UVA rays penetrate deeper and cause long term effects of wrinkling, leathering, sagging and the spots you grow to hate later in life.
What’s The SPF Number To Use?
To protect yourself, always buy no less than 50 SPF Broad Spectrum. The new rules now state anything less than SPF 15 has to have on the label that it has not been shown to prevent skin cancer. Anything between 15 and 50 will help, but if you are going to the trouble to put on skin protection, why wouldn’t you not just put on the most protection? There is no real difference in cost.
Tips To Stay More Beautiful Longer
- Sunny days between 10 AM and 4 PM are when the most damaging rays occur. Stay inside or under shelter.
- Being under a top or shade when you are on a boat does not help. The waters reflection can do almost as much damage as being directly in the sun.
- Reapply sunscreen often. Sweating and swimming remove the protection pretty quickly. The new labels must now tell you how long they last in sweat and wet environments based on standardized testing.
If you have any questions about these new FDA rules, or how to select the best protection, just let me know, I will be glad to help you stay beautiful longer!